October 20th I imaged LBN640 taking 45 X 4 minutes sub-exposures at ISO 800. Using DeepSkyStacker and Maxim DL, I did some analysis on the sub-eposures produced during the session. Here is what I found: Over the course of the 3 hours, the entire imaged drifted 38 pixels; Since my image scale is 0.812 arcseconds/pixel, the total drift
Monday night, I decided to conduct a quick test to confirm whether or not the modifications (IR filter removal and cooling) of my Canon 350D had indeed introduced tilt of the CMOS assembly. Here is what I did: I replaced my modified 350D with my non modified 450D; Focused; Took 15 unguided images of 10 seconds each, near
Yesterday, I took the time to disassemble the cooled 350D from the main OTA and here is what I did: Inspected the T-Ring to make sure that the central portion of the T-Ring was square with the outer ring (i.e. the central portion is maintained in the outer ring by 3 small screws). A few weeks
After fixing the Starshoot Autoguider Camera, I re-installed everything and did some tests again (i.e. took 60, 120, 180 and 240 subs while guiding). To my great deception, all the subs showed elongated stars again. However, the elongations were not oriented in the same direction (i.e. parrallel). In the upper left, the elongation was oriented toward the
While searching for a solution to the elongated stars in my images online, I stumbled on a Cloudy Nights thread where a gentlemen realized that his QHY5 guiding camera had a loose circuit board inside the camera. I went outside to get my Orion Starshoot Autoguider camera to investigate whether or not I might have the same issue. I
2 days ago, I reverted back to the piggy-back installation and did a 4 minutes exposure with autoguiding enabled. I no longer had elongated stars in my images. However, with this configuration, I was unable to balance the scope in DEC due to the off-set of the stock CGEM saddle (i.e. the center of the
Tonight here is what I did to try to fix the elongated stars in my images following the changes I’ve made on my setup: Tightened the Guider focuser tension screw Made sure everything was well screwed and solid Re-leveled the Pier 3 stars alignment with the CGEM Polar alignment with the CGEM software Lauched PHD
After installing the main OTA and the guide scope side-by-side using a tamdem bar, eventhough my guiding is now a lot better, I have now elongated stars in my images. Next steps: Spend some time perfecting my polar alignement; Create a slight imbalance on the DEC axis; Testing if those changes correct the problem.